Jim installed pipeline and started tapping trees on the slopes of Mt. Elon in 1978. Donna joined him in 1987. Our current sugarhouse was built in 1989. You can see from the photos how our pipeline system has evolved and how the trees have grown over the years.
Jim's sugaring heritage spans four generations in Morgan. The photo on the left shows Jim's grandfather, Alansford as a young man working with Alansford's stepfather, Bert and a hired man in the woods. The photo in the center shows Alansford (on left) Jim's father, Bert (in center) and a hired man, Roger unloading sap in Morgan. The photo on the right shows Jim's parents, Alice and Bert in the sugarhouse that was near their house.
Our farm was the former Wayeeses Boys Camp that operated from 1923 until World War II. The description of the camp in the brochure describes it as 320 acres of timberland on the side of Mt. Elon. "The wooded part of camp includes sections heavily timbered with spruce, cedar and fir as well as a large maple-sugar woods." The camp included a lodge which contained the dining room, kitchen, recreation room, workshop and office; screened cabins; tennis courts; rifle and archery ranges; and 150 foot swimming and boat pier.
Charles Hill, owner of Wayeeses Boys Camp taught Literature at Kingswood Academy in Connecticut. He most likely named the camp after William Long's book "Wayeeses The White Wolf".